Thursday, April 14, 2011

(Post #06) Final Reflections




Time flies! This semester has passed so quickly, it's all thanks to ES2007S and the deadlines that come flying in each week.

I remember I took this module because it had somehow become my core module. I thought this would be the same as other boring modules which I had taken before. However, things changed the moment Brad stepped into the room. We were given a quick ice-breaker activity. Ice-breaker for lessons was not a common sight in any other modules that I had taken before.  I knew this was going to be different and maybe fun module.

The fun part began with writing the blog post. Then peer teaching, resumes, application letters, peer evaluating, mock job interviews, proposal and finally ending with an oral presentation. It was taxing and tough, but it also equipped us with valuable skills. These tasks gave us valuable hands-on experience from answering difficult questions in the mock job interview to giving elevator speech for our proposal.
I also like the open discussion style facilitated by Brad, which started with storytelling by sharing his own experiences and knowledge, that was extremely conducive for learning communications skills. This type of environment encouraged discussion in small groups and the class started to open up and share their ideas in class on the topic of the day. This also facilitates interaction with each other and everyone in the friendship bonds being formed between classmates. This was so different from the other modules which I have taken where such interactions between classmates are minimal or non-existent.

Finally, thank you guys and girls and Brad. The course will not be fun without you. This is the first module which I could remember everyone’s name in my heart…….Brad,mabel,ben,paula,yutian,adeline,jac,eunice,edwin,fazial,uttara,jonathan,michelle,kecen,issac. I will always remember your in my 8GB memory…….:)

10 comments:

  1. You're a really fun-loving guy and your craziness is infectious! HAHA I really enjoy being around you and the others! Thanks for being in class to share your joy! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MICHAEL!!

    I totally agree with Jacq!! You've been such a great friend. It was a huge regret not being able to work with you for anything, i'm sure it would have been fun, pleasant and exciting.

    We have also seen tremendous growth in you as a professional communicator too. Hopefully you'll be able to keep up the great work, which will no doubt be of great use for your future careers.

    Once again, thanks for being such a great friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good that Michael enjoyed himself and had fun. All the writing and presenting he has done has certainly paid off as his language skills have markedly improved over the duration of this course. The problem with most other modules is that they evaluate only content and not language, fuelling the current deterioration in Singapore’s standard of English. ES2007S has been most beneficial for Michael in this respect, by allowing him practice of his speaking and writing skills.

    I concur with Michael that the workload was rather heavy, but then again, “no pain, no gain”, as the old adage goes. Thus, I applaud Michael for his diligent attitude in accepting his work uncomplainingly and hope he continues to strive to be the best that he can be.

    (By the way Michael, your “heart” remembered my name wrongly. It’s spelt “Isaac”.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Michael! I will vote you as the most friendly person in es2007s class! Really enjoyed working together with you during the mock interview. I can still remember Brad told us to be difficult with Mabel. But we both just could not do that.

    I have to agree with Jac that your craziness is infectious. Always making everyone so happy with your presence! Thank you for being Michael Jiang in the Michael Jiang's way! :D You rocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Michael! :D

    I think it really is such a pity that we could not work together in a team but through the interaction in class, I can tell that you are a fun loving person! (Camwhore too hahaha!)

    I really liked your group's ppt during the OP (cute alien in the solutions slide) so don't lose this crazy and funny side of you okay.

    Lastly, don't kill me~ HAHAHAHAH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for liking my jokes and appreciate my craziness.
    @Isaac,sorry for misspell. Now I will really remember your name.

    @ben,adeline,paula,jac
    I am sure it would be very fun if we have a chance to work together....maybe we can take es2007 again...haha,just kidding,brad :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Michael, for this comprehensive final post. I'm glad that you appreciated the teaching approach and that you feel that the tasks were helpful for you. I see that you really like the small group interactions. Certainly you took the opportunity to make fast friends with many people and you continually offered your humor and charm. Everyone benefitted from your positive vibrations!

    All the best in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha!! I would be concerned if you only had 8gigs in your memory. Maybe it's time for an upgrade to a terabyte?

    Anyway, thanks for always being the funny one in class! Your happy-go-lucky-ness is one thing that I have to learn more from! Well, now that the sem is about to be over, shall we have a game of bball one day? =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Michael,

    It is always nice to see the pictures that you post on your blogs (: I like how you use pictures to convey your thoughts and ideas.

    Well, I am glad to have known you Michael and to be able to work with you for the peer teaching. You have showed me a cool place to study in Yio Chu Kang and will definitely consider going there in the future. Let’s just hope that we do not find ourselves locked there again (:

    Keep in touch ya. I would like to wish you all the best for your future endeavors.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Michael!

    I think you've really gained alot throughout this entire course and it's great to see all the improvements that you've made thus far! It's been great knowing and crapping madly with you. It's been a total pleasure knowing you!

    ReplyDelete